Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Alterations

I have been reworking projects that have been stored away and making them fresh and new.  I have a terrible habit of making clothes that are too big.  I obviously think I am much bigger than I am.  I am only 5'2 but make clothes for someone 6 ft tall.  I have learned a lot about fit issues from the internet blogs and from looking at my own photos of finished projects.
For example this simple shit dress I made a few years ago.  The fabric is a lovely wool/silk blend.

I used this simple McCall's M6465 pattern and as you can see from my original photo my project was frumpy and my styling is horrible.  I am embarrassed to even put this photo on the internet.


I decided to cut 3-4 inches off and add some trim to the underside but after trying it on I decided it was still too long.  I removed the trim, cut another 4 inches off and added  a 1 inch hem.  This time I decided to add the trim to the outside of the fabric.  
I really like the trim on the outside.  My frumpy dress has become a top I enjoy wearing.  Sorry for the lint on my leggings.


No comments:

Post a Comment